Sunday, 24 April 2016

Capsule Wardrobe Update


So the first three months of my capsule wardrobe experiment is finally up! Even after this little time of testing out the idea I feel like I have learnt quite a bit. I struggled with the itching need to shop and update my wardrobe (although this was when the 3 months were nearly up) so I can justify it that way. But nonetheless I actually never got fed up with my wardrobe or woke up with that dread of not knowing what to wear because of feeling like I had nothing to wear, if anything I would have to lie in bed the night before planning tomorrow's outfit because I had so much choice and wanted to wear loads of outfits all in one day!

So I can safely say that right now it is working for me. But I thought I would write a little update to let you guys know what I actually think and what is and isn't working for me, because I mean if it worked all the time I would never grow and learn new things about myself and I enjoy finding out about myself, so here is my capsule wardrobe update:


Style updates
Although I have enjoyed my wardrobe for this winter and I was definitely warm enough the whole time, no rookie mistakes of not purchasing enough knitwear or layering items from me! I realised that I don't have many fitted pieces and so never show of my silhouette and although I'm not your flat tummy abs girl I actually don't mind my shape and feel like I could do with a few pieces that show it off a little more, I've started looking into body suits and things, because not only are they great to dress up and wear on a night out I could definitely wear them with a skirt or even just in some jeans and things just to give my figure some attention.

Another thing I've realised is that although I love love my black jeans I'm getting a bit tired of them. *queue gasps* That doesn't mean to say I don't enjoy wearing them because I do, but I really would like to add some trousers and skirts into my wardrobe as they really do make a difference. A trouser I have in mind that I really want to try is the striped trouser and I definitely have my eye on a pair that I want to purchase. I also would like to add some maxi skirts, and even culottes, but I think I might try that idea out through a jumpsuit to begin with so I can ease the idea into my head, again I have seen the kind of thing I want I'm excited to experiment with these ideas.

The styles I've been loving is the androgynous vibe, the whole trousers with trainer vibe is really what I'm loving at the moment and definitely want to incorporate that into my wardrobe, I just feel like this look feels more stylish and chic and that's how I'd love to feel. I've really been looking at the likes of Georgia, Sammi, Olivia, and Amy as I'm sure I've said before and really been using them as inspiration for the update of my wardrobe. So I'm hoping that I am able to add some more pieces that give me the real look I want because this experiment really is all about helping you find yourself and I feel clothes definitely do that and I haven't quite got their with mine yet.

LifeStyle updates
If there is one thing I've realised it's that I have definitely noticed the money I've saved from not buying clothes. It's such a relief knowing that I haven't just bought that top or bottoms just for the sheer sake of it and then it's ended up sitting in my wardrobe because I actually don't feel that great in it. Which is a big plus because now I feel like I have more money to go out and do things and explore.

I also realised that I don't have a lot of clothes for when I go and teach in school, which isn't great considering that's my career path so 90% of the time I'll be in school so I have to start thinking about what to add to my wardrobe to ensure it's wearable all the time and not just on the weekends. Which is what I'm hoping I'll find when I start shopping for new bottoms like the trousers and skirts, although I have to be careful due to the fact that I have been looking at pieces that are vest like and as a teacher you have to cover your shoulders, so that's something I'll have to think about. So I must admit that is the part I am struggling with the most during the experiment because teacher's wardrobes really aren't great and I definitely don't want to be sucked into the boring world of teacher dressing (no offence to anyone, it's not to say they don't dress well, it's just not the style I would go for) But like I said the fun of this experiment is about finding things that work and this part definitely needs a lot of love and attention.

I also have to remember that even though spring has approached in England it doesn't warm up to much so some of my winter pieces definitely need to stay in the works, I think the season I'm most excited to dress for is Summer, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. I still have a season to dress for! So on that note I'm off to scour the blogs and scroll through pinterest to begin to create a board of ideas and then begin the shopping for new pieces! Not to mention re-evaluate the wardrobe I have now to see if anything can go to charities or friends, because admittedly there are a few things in my wardrobe that have been unloved, so I guess it's time for them to go!

That's my update of the capsule wardrobe! Stay tuned for the post of all the new things I collect for my spring capsule wardrobe as I'm sure they'll be a post in the works in the near future.

Is there any changes you're making, either to your wardrobe or lifestyle? How are you doing these? I'd love to know!

Elizabeth Apps x




5 comments :

  1. I really won't to do a capsual wardrobe, when I've been buying items I've been trying to invest in things that will go with other items I already have xx

    http://www.dotdanielle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh it's so hard to resist shopping all the time, but I definitely noticed how cutting back has opened up some funds for me too :)

    Enclothed Cognition/Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great post. Well done
    You have a interesting blog.
    I hope you will like mine
    xoxo
    www.welovefur.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the idea of a capsule wardrobe, the trouble is I can't decide which dresses I like best xD I have like 8749 dresses and 1 pair of trousers so it will never be even haha! The benefits sound amazing in the long run though :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're really getting on with your capsule wardrobe, especially the money factor as well! Looks like it will be near to perfect once you've got a few more bits to wear when you teach and some fitted pieces - you should definitely get a couple of bodies, I have a few now and I love them! They're so easy to wear in nights out and just in the daytime as part of a casual outfit so perfect for a capsule wardrobe as they're so flexible!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete